18 February 2008

My New Bud




I bought the mother plant, a zamia, when I was a junior at LSU. I always went to the Horticulture sales since they had great, cheap plants & hell, we were an A&M school...there are damn good plants!!! I always wanted low maintenance plants since I have a tendency to forget sometimes so it was key that my plants needed to be really hard to kill.
So, the mother plant got real big over the last 7 years; I divided it into 2 different plants & they both got big. Then we moved.
When we moved, I put all my plants outside to bask in the fresh air instead of their normal apartment conditions. They stayed out a long time, deep into fall, then I brought all of them in. But some of them I forgot about, don't ask me how, I just did.
The mother plant died after the first real freeze. But I had a little bit of her left. I had one bulb with a small stem coming off. So I planted it...it got broken in half. The stem was maybe 4 inches & I knew that was the end of that plant. There was no way I was getting any type of regrowth.
But I was wrong.
I left the pot where it was...next to the fireplace. And just forgot about it (seems like a common trend with me). Yesterday, I was watering all my plants (which are thriving in their new abode with the am Southern light) & happened to look at the single pot...and there was a new growth.
YAY!! I didn't completely kill it. Ok, I know I'm thrilled about a damn plant but hey, the simple, small pleasures thrill me the most.


3 comments:

mamaof3girls said...

Why are you going to Boston and sure, I'll let someone else do my hair since I royally SUCK at it!! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I see nothing wrong with plants and being excited about a bulb coming up. :-) Congrats on the new found life! A sign of renewal!

MMH said...

I'm impressed. As is the cliche, I kill all plants. Do you know anything about gardening? My goal for this summer is to plant and grow tomatoes, green peppers and jalapenos. We'll see how that goes!