19 March 2008

A Bittersweet Week

It's been a whirlwind this week. After our wonderful Engaged Encounters weekend through the Catholic church (that's another post in itself), Granny L took a major turn for the worst. I talked to Mama & Daddy throughout the day on Monday & talked to school to let them know the situation.
I ended up heading up to NC to be with my parents & Granny after school Monday. I got to the nursing home around 6pm and didn't know what to expect...Granny was in a coma, breathing was labored...it was hard to see at first but I made peace with it and I sat with her along with Mama, Daddy & Uncle D (Aunt T came later, Cousin J too). We all held her hand told her in our own ways how much we loved her & that it was okay to go. We talked and told stories about her life. All the nurses came in and told us stories of Granny's escapades around the home -- sitting in on staff meetings, sleeping in ANY bed she deemed comfortable, making new friends who gave her all the desserts she wanted...it was such a bittersweet night. I made sure to talk to her about her granddaughters & her 2 wonderful great grandchildren, I even sang her a couple of songs...she loved to sing.
Mama & I noticed she started fading; it's amazing how some people can just know that. She passed around 11:30pm on Monday night. Mama & Aunt T held her hands, I was with Daddy next to her as well. You never truly think you are going to watch someone fade & take their last breath. It's a moment I will never forget...I'm glad I was there with my parents, I'm glad I was there for my sisters, I'm glad I was there for Granny L.

We will miss the spunky lady that knew no strangers!
In Loving Memory of Evelyn Duncan Latham
August 6, 1915
March 17, 2008

5 comments:

mamaof3girls said...

I'm sorry and I love you! Great picture. You got me crying now and I am at work!

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David said...

You and your family are in my prayers, Mariana :(

MMH said...

Grandmas are wonderful! Thanks for the post. I made me think of my Grandma who I miss a lot.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for being with everyone - it meant a lot to the two that were far away. :-) We love you!