07 December 2007

I'm EXHAUSTED!!! Just plain worn out. I don't know why. I don't feel sick, I can usually tell when I'm about to be sick but this is pure 100% fatigue. It sucks. I just want to lay in my big ol' comfy bed, snuggle with Reese & watch tv. I took a 3 hour nap tonight when I got home...I'm just drained.

Have 1.5 weeks left in school. Kids are wild but I love them. Had an incident in my last class where a kid pulled out a bag o' pot after class & showed some kids, some of my good kids. They were uncomfortable about it but of course didn't want to snitch. We found out, they gave statements, kid got a simple possession charge when the cops found the schtuff in a tree at his house. It was his 2nd charge that week & he already had 2 felonies before that. He's up for expulsion this week. This boy has SOOOO many issues & I hate to see what could happen to him if he is expelled & sent to the Juve Detention Center. Even if he's not expelled (he probably won't be), he'll probably go there anyway because of the now 4 arrests he's had in the last year.

I just keep telling myself to breathe. I can't help but worry about him. I know I have 120 students I deal with on a daily basis but I get to know them...I truly care about each one no matter how much of a fool they are. Hell, they're in 8th grade, of course they are CRAZY!!! We'll see what happens.

2 comments:

Kay Latham Art said...

You have to remember 2 things:
1. Some things you cannot control
2. Most of the time we have a choice in the events of our life.
Therefore, there is only so much you can do for this young man and he is at a point where his life reflects his choices. You can certainly grieve the loss of your student, but don't beat yourself up, and know you did your best as his teacher and role model. He's now out of your hands, but he left behind some unfinished business and repair work to be done with the students who were exposed to his behaviors. They will certainly need some guidance and possibly counseling.

mamaof3girls said...

You can't control what they do. The guys that graduated last year, one of their classmates died in a drunk driving accident last October, another one the previous January. Do you think that affected them in the least? Nope. They were still drinking. They are kids, whether they are 13 or 17. They don't get it, unfortunately, and there is nothig you can do but be there for them when the shit hits the fan. It sucks, but you were put there for a purpose. Remember that.