12 January 2007

The Woes of Public School

I'm a good teacher, I know I'm a good teacher, but this teacher is having major issues. I know it's impossible to cover all the Standards that I'm required to teach but that leaves me conflicted. Being an 8th grade science teacher, I have 6 main topics that I am required to cover during the school year. So far of the 6, I am on #3.

This is how it breaks down. Six major concepts (Standards) are broken down into multiple indicators. For example, I teach geology. It took me 16 weeks to cover all 7 indicators under the over-encompassing Standard. NowI'm starting the 2nd semester; I'm on biological history and I'll actually cover all 6 indicators over the course of one unit (absolutely amazing!!!). I have 3 more major Standards to cover this year and my students need to know all this information for their wonderful state standardized test at the end of the year. But this Spring is not conducive to much teaching. My students will take 3 standardized tests (which are usually taken in either science or social studies because we teach everyone), have 2 weeks of sex ed (which is taught in the science classes even though its not science Standards **that's another rant in itself**), a week of Spring Break and a week and a half of Final Exams.

To make things even better, students and teachers are "tracked" according to the scores on the state standardized test. Students are ranked -- Below Basic, Basic, Proficient and Advanced and these ranks follow them into the next grade in their file. Teachers are graded according to their students' ranks and the percentages of those ranks, then those scores are compared to all other teachers in their subject area at the school.

It's a double-edged sword -- cram all the Standards in and work quickly so you get it all done before the wonderful test or take the time to actually teach your kids but chance not covering all the information. I am truly conflicted and I needed to get this off my chest. My mentor says they never cover it all but I have issues with that. I guess I need to swallow my conflict and just teach until I can't anymore. The joys of being a first year passionate teacher!

1 comment:

loud said...

That sucks. I guess you have to find the compromise between the two yourself - I know you will.