21 January 2007

Loritabs and Leatherheads

This week has been interesting to say the least.

First, the Loritabs. Friday morning I was in the middle of 1st period going over the assignment due this week. As I was talking, the resource officer (a local cop) stepped in and pulled out a student of mine. At first I wasn't very surprised -- this student doesn't care, doesn't try and this is his 2nd time in 8th grade. So I go on about my business and when the bell rings for the next class I step in the hall to get the scoop from my fellow teachers. Turns out everyone is clueless -- this rarely happens in a school setting. My friend Becky has walked into the lounge right next to my room and another student (not the one pulled from my class) was in there with 2 cops. So interest is peaked even more. Well, Becky has 3rd period planning and goes to the office to find somethings out. She comes and gets me during 3rd period to let me know she knows and I proceed to tell my students, "I'll be right back" -- it's a good class, no worries. So, this is it.

One of my other students, a past troublemaker who has calmed down this year and is actually trying, had brought Loritabs to school and was "distributing" them to other students (ie. the kid pulled out of 1st period). Some of the kids had it on them, others had taken it already, it was amazing. The first thing I thought was, "Damn!! Loritabs!! They even make me loopy, imagine an 8th grader!!!" So it turns out 2 kids get charged, the one who brought it had gotten rid of it so there was no evidence on him but he was named as being the distributor. All in all, there were 5 kids we know about who were involved. They could be expelled but you never know.

I just recieved an e-mail from my kid who brought the pills -- he was apologizing to me and hoping I wasn't mad at him. This kid has done well by me and has pulled higher grades in science then he's ever had; he comes to talk to me when he has issues, he knows I care about his progress. It's a such a hard situation...blah!!!

So, that's Loritabs, now on to Leatherheads. Leatherheads is the new George Clooney movie that's set to film in Anderson, SC and Greer, SC. Well, the Executive Producers of this movie love Gerard's, where Big Daddy works so they've been there consistently for about 3 weeks now. Friday night, Big Daddy was closing up shop and 4 people walk in and he introduced himself, like the wonderful bartender he is, and asks their names. They all give their names and the last one was "Renee" -- Renee Zellweger to be exact. So he chatted them up and such and Zellweger's friend proceeds to hit on him for the course of the evening. Big Daddy comes home and tells me, and of course I'm so excited, asking questions, you know me. Turns out (I love this) -- Renee is was too skinny to be attractive, is majorly self-conscious (always hiding her neck), and was constantly doing that annoying-ass, I-just-ate-a-lemon face. I got such a kick out of it.

George Clooney has been lined up to make his appearance and I so can't wait for that. I wish I could be there, sit at the bar, and just look at him -- he's so sexy!!! I know he'll be in the private room upstairs but hey, it's George Clooney!!! I'll update you when it happens, Big Daddy will have tons of questions to answer!!!

1 comment:

loud said...

Cool story! Keep 'em coming!